HVS is a technique used to obtain a sample of discharge from the vagina. This is than sent for Culture and Sensitivity. High Vaginal swabs can be useful for the investigation of bacterial vaginosis and can confirm vaginal Candidiasis culture.
- Obtain verbal consent before the procedure is commenced.
- Explain the procedure to woman.
- Ensure the bladder is empty
- Ensure the woman is adequately covered and comfortable for the procedure
- Set the woman in a Dorsal Position
- Position the light
- Hand hygiene should be performed before and after procedure
Following are the indications:-
- Vaginal discharge and lower abdominal pain
- Itching around perineum
- Irregular P/V spotting
- Foul smelling discharge
- Curdy white discharge